Excise Cannabis License

Taxation Framework In Canada

Under the taxation framework in Canada, a federal excise duty is payable by a licensed cannabis producer when the cannabis products they package are delivered to a purchaser (for example, a provincially authorized distributor/retailer or final consumer).

  • An excise stamp must be present on all cannabis products that have been legally produced and are available for purchase.
  • The only exception is for low-THC cannabis products, prescription cannabis drugs, and exported products.
  • Only a person who has obtained a cannabis licence from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is able to purchase cannabis excise stamps.
  • The CRA is responsible for licensing cultivators, producers and packagers of cannabis products, and collecting federal duties and taxes.

How to Qualify for an Excise Cannabis License

Cultivators, producers and packagers of cannabis products are required to obtain a cannabis licence from the CRA before production begins. In order to qualify for a CRA cannabis licence, applicants are also required to obtain a licence from Health Canada.

Once you have both licenses, the following is required:

  1. Purchase and apply cannabis excise stamps to cannabis products
  1. Calculate the duty on sales
    • For cannabis products that are imported, the person who must pay the duty is the importer, owner or other person who is liable under the Customs Act. A cannabis licensee does not have to pay the duty at the time of importation.
    • To calculate the cannabis duty see this chart.
  1. File their return and remit (pay) excise duty to the CRA
    • Monthly returns must be filed to report inventories for all cannabis licensees. Additional info can be found here.

Recent Articles From Us

Contact us to start licensing your business!

    Personal Info






    Business Info

    License or Service:


    Do you have the capital to start your business or are you still seeking investors?

    Do you already have the property for your business?

    Have you confirmed the zoning regulations for your property with your municipality?

    When do you plan to apply for your cannabis license(s)?:

    NOTE: Your investment into a federal or provincial licenced business will require working capital including infrastructure, equipment, personnel, insurance, etc. To manufacture (make) edibles you must have a cannabis processing licence or partner with a federally licensed processor to make edibles for you. To sell edibles and you must first sell to the provincial government buyer who, in turn, sells to licensed retail stores.

    To serve you better, please provide a brief description of your plans and the information you are seeking: