Making Cannabis Products

Requirements To Make Cannabis Products

Processing licenses are ideal for anyone who desires to work with cannabis and its derivatives, such as oil, wax, hash, butter, and other extracts. Working with extracts, packaging or labeling cannabis products are all activities that are covered under a cannabis processing licence. Under the Cannabis Act, companies who manufacture cannabis-based products are required to hold one of two licenses: Micro Processing or Standard Processing. While the former is best for smaller outfits, the latter is ideal for larger growing companies. These licenses do not authorize the holder to distribute cannabis products, or cannabis materials, to the general public and the cultivation of cannabis is not allowed.

Personnel Requirements:

License Requirements

Micro-Processing License

The Micro-Processing Licence is generally reserved for smaller manufacturers, as it only permits up to 600 kg of dried flower (or the equivalent) to be handled each year. This option is ideal for businesses that do not intend on expanding their market reach in the near future. Micro-processors who also have a micro-cultivation licence are permitted to process more than the 600 kg cap, given that they are processing the cannabis cultivated from their own site.

Standard Processing License

The Standard Processing licence functions much like the Micro-Processing Licence, but there is no limit on the amount of cannabis product your business can handle each year. You can manufacture, sell, and distribute an unlimited amount of cannabis with this licence. Both Standard and Micro Processing licences allow for the sale and distribution of cannabis products to other licence holders or to provincial and territorial retailers.

Additional Helpful Services

Edibles Safety Plans – Do you want to start a cannabis edibles business? If so, you need to get over a few hurdles before getting the right license. If you already manufacture non-cannabis food products, you can process cannabis at the same site if production, labelling, packaging and storage of cannabis products and food products are conducted in separate buildings.


How CLE Can Help You – At Cannabis License Experts, our edibles compliance division can guide you on how to plan your cannabis business, acquire funding, navigate the legal requirements, and acquire the appropriate licence for your operations. We offer support from day one of starting your cannabis business, including strategic planning, floor plan preparation, site audits, SOPs, Preventive Control Plans (PCPs) and more. You’ll also get a solid plan for your edibles business to get your products on store shelves.

Our Other Solutions

Grow Cannabis

Produce dried or fresh cannabis, plants and seeds.


Sell Recreational Cannabis

Sell recreational cannabis to consumers over
the age of 18.


Make Cannabis Products

Trim, cut, dry, extract, manufacture, package, label cannabis products.


Conduct Cannabis Testing

Conduct analytical testing for purity, potency, identity.


Sell Medical Cannabis

Sell cannabis as medicine for registered users.


Develop New Products & Edibles

Develop new cannabis products or set up a clinical study.

0/5 (0 Reviews)